Friday 4 May 2012

Masseria Del Feudo Chardonnay 'Haermosa', Sicily



It's been quite a wine-free few weeks. Time to make amends.
This is an organic chardonnay from inland Sicily, cultivated at 480m above sea level. I came across it as the importer, Paola from Harmonicande, had a few bottles open from this producer in Bottle Apostle down the road. The Chardonnay really stood out for me, as well as quite an unusual bright young Syrah.
There's some real class on the nose here, which reminds me of French apple tart with just a touch of warm nutmeg spice and vanilla to sweeten the deal. Perhaps someone let a few slices of pineapple slip in too. It doesn't veer towards buttery or mealy though, staying clean and quite chiselled on the palate, which has just enough in the way of acid structure to hold it together with the help of a pithy and quite savoury backbone. I really like this - it's elegant and pretty serious. Probably the best Chardonnay I've had from Italy (a small catergory I'll admit).

No comments:

Post a Comment